Smiley Face - Why?

Go down

Smiley Face - Why?

Post by chinagringo on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:15 am

In my post on INAPAM/DIF CARD:

It insists on putting a smiley face where an "8" should be. Why?

Neil
Albuquerque, NM
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ~Mark Twain

chinagringo
Big Bully
Big Bully

Back to top Go down

Re: Smiley Face - Why?

Post by Octavo Centava on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Because the number 8 with a paren and a space after the paren produces a smilie face. I will type that now....Cool ...now let's try an 8 with paren AND no space after the paren. I will type an 8, paren and X with no space. 8)X....

Boss Of Bosses
Boss Of Bosses

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Gotta see if that works for me...8 ) Lessee? L Hmmm that didn't work.!? L
bobnliz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnarley on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:01 pm

Lizzy..Lizzy..Lizzy....8 and paren together then the space...you typed an 8 'space' paren...
Gnarley
Boss Of Bosses
Boss Of Bosses

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Hokay... Cool Lessee now!
bobnliz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:16 pm

Guess what, Gnarley? Write it under "quick reply" and no show at all. Edit, and it shows in the edit, but not back in the post! Fancy that? Lizzy
bobnliz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnarley on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Cool = 8paren

8 ) = nada
Gnarley
Boss Of Bosses
Boss Of Bosses

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz on Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:22 pm

Ok Cool this should be a smiley! L Ha! And there it is? You messin' wid me? L
bobnliz

Back to top Go down

Post by chinagringo on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:01 pm

OK! Now why does this only happen with the 8 and paren and not other numbers?

Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ~Mark Twain

chinagringo
Big Bully
Big Bully

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnarley on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:06 pm

bobnliz wrote:Ok Cool this should be a smiley! L Ha! And there it is? You messin' wid me? L
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

chinagringo wrote:OK! Now why does this only happen with the 8 and paren and not other numbers?

Actually other numbers are also used i.e. 6 & 7. as well as the alphabet. This was used way back at the beginning in chat before the I-net actually caught on. Basically it's a lost art now for the masses as 'emoticons' & 'animated emoticons' have taken over and most chat rooms, boards etc. (like ours) are supplied with "ready made" emoticons so you don't have to remember any combinations just select what you want. If I remember right, AOL was one of the first commercial sites to use the text emoticons and when they developed their AIM program (instant messaging) they started converting the text to graphics and the rest is history.

A few examples I remember: colon is always eyes, parens are always mouths...colonparen= Smile..colonletterP=Razz..colonletterD=Very Happy..whether the symbols are converted to graphics depends on several things, the most important is whether the program (board, chat etc.) has the ability to do so. Those that didn't/don't still used characters such as: @@ meant rolling your eyes, :-($) meant put your money where your mouth is..etc..etc.

Now aren't you sorry you asked? and aren't you glad you can just pick what you want?..LOL..To continue this lesson kids..you may know this & then again I am surprised at how many people do not know what emoticons are really for and why they are important..so here it is: because we are only reading what people write we cannot see body language, cannot hear tone of voice or see facial expressions therefore it is easy to misinterpret what someone 'really' meant and take it completely wrong. Example: If I answer someones post and say something like "What's wrong with you man"..it would be easy for someone to get all butt-hurt over that and the flame war starts..but what would it do if I said "what's wrong with you man" [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ..now the jerk knows I'm kidding around..LOL

OK..here ends the lesson of the day, week, month.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gnarley
Boss Of Bosses
Boss Of Bosses

Back to top Go down

Post by chinagringo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:19 am

OK Teacher!

Now I have another question: How does one properly spell Spanish with the proper accent marks on the forum using a laptop? I knew how to do it with a standard keyboard using the far right numerical keys but haven't learned on a laptop keyboard.

Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chinagringo
Big Bully
Big Bully

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:49 am

Neil ~ My little laptop does not do Spanish same as desktop and old laptop. Solved problem by adding Spanish keyboard, which converts it to that configuration. It is done in "my computer", the "control panel". You will have to learn anew where everything is, but it works fine. I will give you the translations later. We have to go do chores now. Lizzy
bobnliz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnarley on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:01 pm

I defer to the lizzilator..good answer by the way..

If you are using Vista::

To install a keyboard, go to Start and then Control Panel. Open the Regional and Language Options item. Click on the Keyboards and Languages tab on the top of the resulting window. Then click the Change Keyboards button. The resulting window will show you all the languages currently installed and the keyboard used with the language.

At this point I haven't done it so can't advise of any pitfalls etc.. give it a try..worst can happen is you completely destroy your computer and will never be able to type anything again..[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ya know after pondering for a moment..I think it may be easier if you were to try using the International Keyboard (that's what Lizzy was talkin about)..so to make it as easy & painless as possible, here is a link to the Microsoft directions of how to do that for all versions of XP, Vista & Windows 7..

Gnarley
Boss Of Bosses
Boss Of Bosses

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Ya know... I tried installing the international keyboard on the Acer and it wouldn't do it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (worked fine on the desktop and the full sized Compaq laptop)
Only way it would work was to install the keyboard en español. The Spanish version worked just fine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Had to relearn the positions of some of the characters, but I figure that's good if'n I ever got to go use an internet store en México again. Lizzy
bobnliz

Back to top Go down

Post by BajaGringo on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:06 am

It's called bb code for smilies. All the emoticons have a code to express them...
BajaGringo

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 pm

Gnarley wrote:I defer to the lizzilator..good answer by the way..

If you are using Vista::

To install a keyboard, go to Start and then Control Panel. Open the Regional and Language Options item. Click on the Keyboards and Languages tab on the top of the resulting window. Then click the Change Keyboards button. The resulting window will show you all the languages currently installed and the keyboard used with the language.

At this point I haven't done it so can't advise of any pitfalls etc.. give it a try..worst can happen is you completely destroy your computer and will never be able to type anything again..[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ya know after pondering for a moment..I think it may be easier if you were to try using the International Keyboard (that's what Lizzy was talkin about)..so to make it as easy & painless as possible, here is a link to the Microsoft directions of how to do that for all versions of XP, Vista & Windows 7..

[url=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560

If'n ya can't fix it with a hammer... then ya have an electrical problem!!
hockables

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down